12 May 2010

Pure Excitement

I had big plans for my life. Like, BIG. Five years of school, become an architect, get famous, make tons of money, put in some time working non-profit, have a family, live to be 100. I was going to do all of this while serving the Lord and living out His will in my life. It was a good plan.


Except God never told me to be an architect. He never told me I needed to be wealthy or known by name. In fact, every time I thought about my future, this sick feeling began to grow within my heart. It spread throughout my body like a cancer until I felt physically ill just thinking about the days and months ahead. Worst of all, I kept telling myself that maybe this was God’s plan, and if it wasn’t, I could survive five years of school before seeking out what is He actually calling me to do.

Wrong.
  • Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21
  • And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28
  • How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands. Psalm 119:9-10
  • For You are my hope, O Lord God; You are my trust from my youth. Psalm 71:5
  • For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11-12
So I got professional counseling. I prayed. I talked to my family for hours on the phone. I prayed. I cried, I complained. I prayed. I sought the advise of friends and people I hardly even knew. I prayed. I took a career aptitude test. Turns out, architecture fell under the category “Two Career Choices You Should Absolutely Never Consider”. Architecture and Architectural Engineering. I prayed some more.

I am now studying social work at KSU and continue to seek God’s will for my life daily. I know that people change their major like they change their socks, but this was a huge decision for me! Since the moment I made this decision, a peace that passes all rational understanding has filled my heart. I used to spend my all-nighters in studio stressing about my future. Now, only pure excitement for my future in God’s kingdom can keep me up at night!

I love that He is so patient with me! When I graduated from high school I received a box full of cards, picture frames, and other memorabilia with Jeremiah 29:11 on it. At the time, I viewed the verse as an overused cliché, not pertaining to me. I knew MY plans for MY life and prayed that God would bless them. If someone told me even 8 months ago that I would have the courage to change my future by changing my major, I would have quietly joked that I absolutely loved where I was at. But God does have a plan for my life. A plan to give me a hope and a future beyond anything I could dream up. When I seek Him, I find him. Today, God encourages me to continue putting my faith in Him. Big decisions, small frustrations, exciting events, tiny joys; take absolutely everything to God in prayer!
Never be lacking in your zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:11-12
Amen and amen. Blessings.

No comments: