![]() |
| This beautiful, amazing woman is my mother. I love her so much. She is the strongest woman I know. Endlessly compassionate. Super sensible. Extremely smart. |
Last June, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.
I don't know why cancer happens to some and not others. God's healing is revealed in countless forms, perfect for the heart of each person. I have no idea why cancer, but cancer is, and there is no medical cure.
I'm not naturally an open book, and when personal heartbreak strikes, my first reaction is to shut the world off. I don't like to tell people about my sadness or my hurt. I don't like feeling pitied or sympathy. I want to be strong. I want to be the one who overcomes pain. I want to discover happiness on my own and stand, unafraid of whatever is thrown my way. This thinking? This way of life? It leaves no room for God and His healing, His strength, or His joy. It leaves no room for glorifying God.
I have a close sister in Christ who I've never told of my mother's cancer. I don't think she knows, because if she did, I know she would have cried with me, like I've cried with her in her pain. I know she would have prayed with me, and sought God's healing for my mother. I know that she loves me, and I'm confident that she love's the Lord with all of her heart. I've thought about why I've never told her, and the best answer I can come up with is I wanted to protect her from pain and sadness.
How selfish of me.
My mother finished her chemo treatments in January. God has been faithful to heal her heart as he heals her body. There have been so many answered prayers throughout the last 7 months. Healing has come in more than just the physical for our family's heart. So many friends and church family members have been praying for my mother, and every day I feel the love of people who truly care about me and my mom. I feel the love of a God who genuinely cares about us. I know a deeper sense of God's sovereign plan to run after us in His pursuit of relationship. It's powerful. Prayer is powerful.
God is powerful.
When we don't live life with one another, when we don't share our heartache and sorrow along with our joy and perfect peace that come from knowing the Lord, people can't see a clear picture of who God really is in our lives. There is no safety in ignorance of God's power. There is no true protection from pain and sadness, without knowing the Protector and Healer.
Most importantly, when we don't share our troubles, we deny ourselves and others the awesome opportunity of trusting God, growing in faith, and, ultimately, glorifying His holy name.
When we begin to fully recognize who God is, we can't help but point all attention, thanks, and glory in His direction. When we proclaim His mighty work in our lives, others will hear and understand more of who He is.
Walk together, friends. Live life together. Glorify the Lord together. It's what we were created for.
But as for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
of your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure.
I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign Lord;
I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.
Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.
Psalm 71:14-18

No comments:
Post a Comment